With attractive, functional packaging and high efficacy, we found Rouh essential oils to be a worthy investment for indulgent massages, to treat the odd affliction or make the house smell great. A little goes a long way – but we do not recommend it for homes with kids and pets.
How I found it
I never a big consumer of essential oils. Sure, it was nice indulgence at a spa once in a while. You know, they always had those diffusers. But the only uses I found otherwise for oil were for my hair and to sniff when I had a cold. A flare-up of Psoriasis last year changed that. Before the psoriasis diagnosis, I was convinced it was seborrheic dermatitis. I discovered that tea tree oil was supposed to help, and went onto Amazon in search of a high-quality pure organic tea tree oil that I could apply to my scalp. That how I found Rouh Essentials – by chance and rolled the dice on an Amazon product. The first time around I got a 15 ml bottle. Priced at around ~499, it seemed a little steep at first but the 15 ml goes a long long way. I then told a friend about the oil, who also loved it and between us we tested the entire range of Rouh essential oil products.
Why I love it
The first thing that struck me was the packaging. It was delightful.
Once I took it out of the Amazon box, I hold a well designed small brown box with Rouh branding. Feels eco-friendly already. Upon opening the box, I see a handy leaflet, a little jute bag, and straw fillers! The actual bottle of oil is in the tiny jute bag adding to the appeal. A note on how to use the oil for various afflictions comes along with the bottle and bag.
There were a couple of signs that indicated that this was a high-quality essential oil. Feel free to run through this checklist when purchasing any oil with a 100% pure claim.
- Container: Rouh essential oil comes in a dark colored bottle. This was a good sign because usually, oils contain compounds that react with plastic or are rendered ineffective in strong light.
- Cool packaging: The jute bag and straw made sense. Both absorb heat away from the surroundings.
- Smell: I’ve purchased the same types of oils from Rouh 2-3 times and each and every single time they have smelled the same and been as effective. Consistency is a great checkpoint.
- Purity test: This old-school simple test is a sure fire way of identifying if the oil is pure or not. Put a drop of oil on printer paper and let it rest. If it leaves a ring behind, then the oil is not pure. Rouh oils did not leave a ring behind on the paper I tested.
- Efficacy: While the tea tree oil did not work as intended for my psoriasis, I found it worked very well on other afflictions, like the odd pimple, a fungal patch and even a wart on my body that almost had a name.
How to use essential oils
Here are a couple of handy tips on using pure essentials oils:
- Always use them with carrier oils, unless otherwise required. Pure essential oils are of incredibly high potency and in full strength can cause itching, burning and other unpleasant sensations.
- If you’ve purchased the essential oil for its scent: use them with a diffuser or make your own with a glass jar, distilled water, and bamboo sticks. Spraying it diluted into the air doesn’t work as well.
But keep in mind…
Essential oils can be toxic to animals and dangerous in high doses to children. Since concentrated oils have the compounds in high doses, it is best to avoid using or placing them anywhere in close proximity of kids and pets so as to prevent ingestion or absorption of these oils even by accident.
These days I find being able to directly engage with a brand or manufacturer of any product I buy a value addition – for my own reassurance.
With Rouh, I sent in some feedback on the inconsistency of the droppers on the bottles via the website but did not hear back.
Recently, I called them up yet again on the number provided on the website and directly reached one of the co-founders – Angad. He shared that from April, Rouh provides glass droppers in their bottles when you order directly from their website. However, these droppers are not available on bottles ordered via Amazon for logistical reasons. For any other customer care concerns, he recommended dropping them a note on Instagram or via WhatsApp on the number provided on the website.