- lenskart is an online and offline eyewear retailer with prices starting at ₹999.
- It was founded in 2010 by 👨🏽 👨🏽👨🏽 in New Delhi.
- They ship direct-to-consumer (D2C) and via their website, mobile app and also have offline stores.
I’ve worn spectacles since 1997. Like many, I have my go-to optician where I get a new pair or spare every 2-3 years. I’ve also seen plenty of lenskart ads on Facebook and Instagram, and after online window shopping for a year, I finally gave in and got myself a pair via the lenskart mobile app.
How I tested
After spending significant time on the lenskart website eyeing spectacles I liked, I noticed I was being targeted with a lot of social media ads offering discounts, and once I set up an account, I also received SMS ads – which while annoying – also pushed me towards downloading their mobile app. I took a two-pronged approach. I found pairs I liked online, added them to my wishlist and then went to lenskart offline stores to try them on. But it didn’t quite work out as I planned.
What I do not enjoy about Lenskart
- I initially found it disconcerting to buy something so physical and intimate to my face…online. The 3D try-on feature on the app means well but it’s not very accurate, and still feels a bit uncanny valley. I went to the store to try on the exact pairs that I saw online. The 1st store didn’t have them, the 2nd store didn’t have them either but had similar styles.
- It was a good thing I went to the store because I found a pair I liked that I hadn’t noticed online, and placed my order on the app to make use of the promo codes that plague me through SMS and e-mail.
- Except they were not the ones I’d tried on. I had messed up the product id. I asked for a return online and that was easy enough. But it took another 7-10 days for it to be processed. Here’s where I felt let down – during my entire purchase journey, lenskart customer support would call me up – to confirm my order, to ensure I had uploaded my prescription etc. But when the return was processed, I didn’t receive a call. As it turns out, I had received an sms that mentioned store credit for the amount that had been refunded to my account after the return – but who checks SMS anymore? It had also been updated on the app. I found that pretty odd.
- I called lenskart up and posed my question. How do I ensure I get the right product? Their answer: I had to go back to the store – find the right product id and place the order again.
- Lenskart also told me that the home try-on was for 100 popular styles and I had no way of knowing if my preferred pair was going to be there. They also could not tell me which store had it.
What I like about Lenskart
All hijinks aside, I really like my lenskart spectacles and the experience of buying specs online. Here’s why:
- The spectacles arrived blazing quick. 48 hours after placing an order, I held them in my hands. Highly impressive turnaround time and better than most offline opticians.
- I could place and return eyewear orders any number of times – as long I returned them via 14 days! Lenskart customer support attested to this.
- Between the online and offline catalogs, I felt like I had a massive range of options and many contemporary styles to pick from.
- Finally, lenskart prices are incredibly attractive and I considered having 2-3 more pairs as wardrobe accessories. Each pair has pretty high-quality durable lenses glasses – I have done the drop test many times – the frames are hit or miss- and comes with more coupons for lenskart and a few other retailers
- So if you already have your prescription, and are okay with returning pairs you don’t like – time and time again like an online trial room – lenskart makes it a breeze to buy a pair of spectacles online at a great price.