We found the Smytten trial box a good best for an easy, fun and economical pick-me-up or gift for yourself. Just don’t expect too much in the way of variety, packaging or user experience from the mobile app.
- Smytten is a trial and discovery service for products
- They were founded in 2015 in Gurugram by 👨🏽 👨🏽
- They ship direct-to-consumer (D2C).
- Has an app, and website.
How we tested
We can across smytten on our Instagram feeds as sponsored ads. I don’t think we fully understood the value till we went to the website and saw the ‘build your own trial kit’ listed there for ₹249. Over 2 months, we ordered 2 different trial boxes – each with 4 products: 2 full size and 2 sample size, off the website, and also downloaded the app.
What we like about Smytten
- Useful to try out new products: The full size and trial products themselves were pretty cool. We discovered some great new buys and knocked a few off our list that we’d been curious about.
- Economical & Fast Shipping: Shipping was extremely quick, and the trial boxes themselves feel very economical at the
I would totally order these boxes as cute pick-me-up gifts for friends and family – or when Christmas rolls around and you have the traditional games at work, and a ₹500 budget.
What we don’t like about Smytten
- Limited Catalog: Both times we ordered, we found the catalog limited to beauty and a few food & beverage options. I felt I was forced to fill my trial box with 2 products I really wanted and 2 products I did not.
- Packaging: The packaging both times was a fairly standard brown box and bubble wrapped products – really wish this wasn’t the case because I found myself less than delighted when unboxing till I get to the actual products. Their Instagram ads and fanreels show much nicer boxes so maybe we are missing something here.
- Mobile App: I downloaded the app but found it confusing and not very credible. Getting 3 ‘free’ trials only to pay for ₹168 for shipping + ₹31 GST for each of them didn’t add up to me. The party line is that the ₹168 will be returned if you come back to the app and buy a full size product from smyttem, so if I wanted to hedge a good deal in the long run – kinda like the groupon era of deals – I suppose it would make sense.
But I found the app store reviews questionable and the didn’t trust myself to remember to come back and shop here specifically because I had a discount in the tank.