If you find yourself bored popping wellness pills, or constantly forgetting to take them, ākiva superfoods juice shots can help liven up your day to day regimen. With attractive packaging and the purported benefits of ayurvedic pills as juice, these shots make the routine a novelty. That said, they do have additives, are priced at a premium, and the packaging does not feel sustainable or recyclable.
We came across ākiva superfoods (formerly just kivā) on Instagram.
- ākiva superfoods is a modern ayurvedic wellness company.
- It was founded in 2016 in Gurugram by 👨🏽
- Currently funded by angel investors.
- They ship direct-to-consumer (D2C) and via Amazon.
The nutraceuticals and wellness market is really booming in India. Depending on who you talk to, it is estimated to be at $6B in the next year, with a projection of $20B by 2025. My fellow millenials and I are well and truly in the quest for magical elixirs – at work, in the kitchen, in life.
How we tested
We ordered two assorted 6 packs directly from the ākiva superfoods website. It totaled up to ₹368 with free shipping, around ₹30-40 per shot. We were 4 testers. Each of us tried two flavors and compared notes.
What we like about Akiva Juice Shots
- Shipping: was very quick, and the packaging was great, we were delighted. Sure, it came in a boring brown box but once I took it out everyone who laid eyes on the 6 pack, bold colors, and test tube shots for the first time either went ‘Cool!’ or ‘What’s that?’. We liked that the package came with a note on the rebranding and a fridge magnet.
- Consuming: juice shots made the idea of wellness ‘fun’. Would I get it again? As a one-time gift – Yes, they look great. I also can’t help but think they would also be very attractive as corporate gifts, and in hotels or restaurants.
What we don’t like about Akiva Juice Shots
- Ingredients: The shots themselves can be hit or miss. Each shot is about 40 ml of concentrated juice, with or without pulp – no added sugars but the natural sugars range between-0-4/5 g. The shots have added flavors and preservative INS 211 – sodium benzoate. The aloe was enjoyable, so was the amla. The jamun, and the apple cider vinegar took a little work to gulp down.
- Are the tubes biodegradable? We had concerns about the same packaging as much as we enjoyed it. What are the tubes made of? Can they be recycled? Are they biodegradable? These details are hidden away on the website for us to dig up and did not seem straightforward.
- Are these shots wellness in a modern, portable format? It didn’t feel like it to us on a sustainable long-term level. Telling ourselves to drink one or two of these shots priced at a premium every day could be fun but will take a lot of work, as opposed to say popping a tasteless pill that costs me ₹5. Also, we imagined each shot would contain a magic potion – a brew of ayurvedic herbs and fruit with little to no other additives – but the ingredients list told us otherwise.
Do Akiva Juice Shots work?
I find my answer to be me – I am not sure 🤷🏾. I also suppose the same could be said of any other ayurvedic pill. I did a 3-month course of Turmeric pills a few months earlier and did not see much of a difference there either.